Once you’ve lived in France for three months and established residency, you’re eligible for French national health coverage — Woohoo! But to reap all the benefits, you’ll first need a numero de securité sociale and a carte Vitale.
Tag: immigration process
When the person you love comes from a different country, there are challenges to your relationship that most couples take for granted: The possibility you could be separated against your will by the government. Not having all the time in the world to get to […]
As I learned, bouncing into your new job with your American working style and enthusiasm probably isn’t the best way to proceed. But good news, some of the differences are wonderful!
Moving across town is stressful. Moving to another continent will test your mental stability. Six months ago, my French husband and I made the jump from the United States to France, and let me tell you I learned some things!
As part of signing the integration contract with France (un contrat d’intégration républicaine or CIR) at your OFII meeting, you have to complete two required modules on French civics.
I made the permanent move to France in June 2017. As I continue to share my experiences, I’ll add articles to this list that are helpful to others trying to make the move! Write me if there is a topic you’d really like to hear about.
Paris Dispatch Series
Chronicling my personal experience moving to France and starting a new life:
- Paris Dispatch #1: Hello New Life
- Paris Dispatch #2: The Growth Zone
- Paris Dispatch #3: La Rentrée
- Paris Dispatch #4: The Waiting Game
- Paris Dispatch #5: Between Two Worlds
- Paris Dispatch #6: Bonne Année
- Paris Dispatch #7: One Year
MAKING THE DECISION
- Should I Move Abroad? 5 Questions to Ask Yourself
- Tips for Moving to Paris from Someone Who Just Did It
- Life in Paris vs. New York City
- 50 Reasons You Will Never Be French
- 11 Books I Read about France Instead of Learning French
VISAS + IMMIGRATION PROCESS
- Visa Long Sejour guide for American spouse of French citizen
- Here’s What Happens at Your OFII Meeting + Medical Appointment
- La Formation Civique: Your 2 Required French Civics Modules
- How to Get Your Securité Sociale & Carte Vitale in France
THE FRENCH LANGUAGE
- So you want to learn French in France
- How to live in Paris without speaking French
- Why Do French People Respond in English When I Speak French?
LIFE IN FRANCE
- Do French People Really Wear Berets? French Clichés Investigated
- How My Beauty Routine Changed After Moving to Paris
- 10 Differences Between French and American Work Culture
- How to Dress in Paris to Fit in with the Locals
- The secret to ordering the best baguette in France
- The Foreigner’s Guide to French Cheese Etiquette